Old Red Old Ten North Dakota Scenic Byway | Things to do

Travel the Old Red Old Ten Scenic Byway for many exciting things to see and do.  Load up the family or take a trip on your own to explore the "Other Freeway!"

First Roller Mill

Main St.
Gladstone, ND

Lat:46.8608  Lon:-102.568

Robert Lee built the first Roller Mill west of the Missouri River in 1885 in Gladstone.  Local citizens held a basket picnic in honor of the mill, with dancing and other amusements. The first wheat bought was between 60 and 65 cents a bushel. Oats were 30 cents a bushel. The main building was constructed right on the cliff overlooking the Heart River, just west of the present City Hall on Cliff Street. The building was a three-story affair, 30 feet long by 44 feet wide, with a wing across the road that was 16 by 44 feet. An elevator was later constructed adjacent to the wing. The facility operated as a full-fledged mill until it was destroyed by fire on the night of January 12, 1910. The fire destroyed just the mill on the cliff bank and did not damage the elevator or the flour warehouse across the road. Although the Lees made a decision not to rebuild, the facility ended up being rebuilt in the 1910s and was operated by the Gladstone Milling Company, until it was sold to the Farmers Cooperative in 1930. The mill burned down a second time on March 31, 1936, and at that time the elevator was also destroyed. Robert Lee’s son, George, published the first newspaper in Stark County, “The Rustler”, first copy dated Jan. 29, 1884. The first Methodist-Episcopalian Church west of the Missouri River was constructed in the current Prairie Rose Park, and stood until it was torn down in the 1950s. A marker between the two pine trees designates its former location. The Congregational Church was also built in the same area and served that faith until around the turn of the century, when it was sold to the Catholics for $500. It served as the first St. Thomas Church. Reverend E. L. Hood was the pastor of the Congregational Church at that time. Reverend Cooke was the Methodist Minister. Both churches were completed and dedicated in November of 1885.